Thursday, January 13, 2011

Playing Favorites...

Last Sunday night I went with Brent to the Youth Fireside introducing the 2011 Mutual Theme. I was delighted that they've chosen the 13th Article of Faith for the worldwide theme this year. It's always been my favorite!

The 13th Article of Faith reads: "We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul - We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, of good report, or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

For me the 13th Article of Faith is a great litmus test. If I'm reading a book or watching a movie that doesn't fall into the virtuous-lovely-good report-praiseworthy category, then I should probably "seek" something else. There are so many uplifting ways to spend my time that it just seems counterproductive when I squander it with things that don't pass the test.

The 13th Article of Faith has also served me well as an invitation to learn more about other faiths. It reminds me that we can find "good" all over the place; that, as a church, we don't have a corner on the market when it comes to goodness. There are wonderful examples of outstanding people with faith promoting stories all over the planet.

It's similar to a President Hinckley quote that I love: "We recognize the good in all people. We recognize the good in all churches, in their efforts to improve mankind and teach principles that lead to good, stable, productive living." Amen to that philosophy! And to my favorite Article of Faith!