Monday, May 16, 2011

Gatekeepers of the Entertainment Industry...

Here’s the newest employee at Creative Artists Agency. Webb starts his new job today, working in the script department as an assistant to the executive responsible for all the scripts.

It feels like a first-day-back-to-school for my kid and I wish I could get out the camera and take a picture of him walking down the street swinging a new lunchbox. I guess the LA to Los Gatos distance precludes that favorite mom tradition. But, I bet Webb has the same nervous jitters as a first day back to school: hope I like my teacher/boss, bet I’ll meet some new friends/coworkers, what will be my favorite subject/assignment, and, where’s the nearest bathroom?

Fortune magazine called CAA “the entertainment industry’s most influential organization” and Fast Company named CAA in their list of the 50 Most Innovation Companies in the World (right alongside names like Google and Apple).

I don’t know a lot about the entertainment industry but when I learned that Meryl Streep (my favorite actress) is a CAA client, that speaks volumes. In fact, it sounds like most of the top tier or A list stars are clients at CAA.

And if CAA’s job is to match talent, then Webb should be a natural. Webb has always had a good eye for “cool.” Come to think of it, he always had a knack for picking out a really hip new lunchbox for the school year.

So, from Webb’s Walden Media experience to his new gig at Creative Artists Agency: good luck at your first day on the job!