Saturday, June 16, 2012

1 Year Down...

“The brain is wider than the sky.”  - Emily Dickinson


       I love that poet Emily Dickinson noted the brain’s potential long before brain science discovered that our nervous system can make trillions of synaptic connections.  The power of human imagination is limitless.  It’s just one of the things that makes the study of psychology so complex as well as fascinating.  Sometimes I feel like I am in medical school (for the mind).
       As of this week it’s 1 year down and 2 more to go!  My first year of graduate school sped by. It’s been a positive experience all around.  My classes were great; the professors are impressive and my class cohorts are bright.  I've learned a ton and gained greater respect for the therapy profession.
       Since I feel anxious to keep plodding along, I’m actually signed up for a couple of summer courses.  The more I learn about psychology and therapy, the more I understand how little I know.  But I do know I love the field and in some ways I feel like psychology chose me as much as I chose psychology.