Saturday, September 22, 2012

Alone on the Road...

       Yesterday I was completely alone on the road, driving in Los Gatos without another car in sight. No cars behind me, no cars ahead and total darkness.  I think it might have been a first.
       There was barely any traffic during the years of teaching early morning Seminary but yesterday was eerily different.  It wasn't just quiet, it was dead silent.  And, depending on your perspective, it's hard to say whether I was out late or up early.  It was 2 am.  
       The reason I was driving at such a odd hour made sense at the time.  I had planned on dropping some birthday treats on a friend's doorstep early Friday morning.  Since my usual wake-up is before many people get up, the plan would have worked just fine.
       But, for some reason I woke up before 2 am, which was strange because I generally sleep well.  And then it was frustrating because I couldn't get back to sleep which is unusual.  After tossing and turning I surmised that I could lay in bed annoyed at the insomnia or I could efficiently make my delivery right then, since I wasn't sleeping anyway.  
       After a few blocks in the car I noticed there was not a soul on the road so I decided to see how far I'd go before encountering another moving vehicle.  There was not a single car driving down Los Gatos Boulevard and nothing for several miles on Blossom Hill Road.  It started to feel a little unnerving. 
       At some point I realized that as far as safety goes, this was probably a good thing.  Because, if you think about it, who is out driving at 2 am besides weirdos anyway?  Well, weirdos and maybe crazy old insomniac ladies delivering birthday treats. :)