Friday, September 28, 2012

Fits & Starts...

       "Learning proceeds in fits and starts."  -Jerold W. Aps

       I thought graduate school would get easier!  Whenever I had 2nd year students in classes last year I was sure they were experts; surely they knew the answers, obviously they were eons ahead of me in their psychology expertise.  
       Ha!  Now I'm one of those 2nd-year-in-the-program students and if anyone eyes me presuming my knowledge is comprehensive, well, they would be way way off.
        First of all, I thought that classes would get easier but that just goes to show you how much time has lapsed since I was in school.  I mean, is Calculus easier than Trigonometry?  Usually not.  So, I've come to the realization that there is a good reason many of the 1st year courses were prerequisites for classes I'm currently taking.  Think French 1 before French 2.  I guess this should be obvious.
       All this to say that Fall Quarter is not going to be easy!  If I keep up with the workload it shouldn't be too hard but the volume of reading alone looks pretty daunting.  So, here we go again...
     

       "For many, learning is a spiral, where important themes are visited again and again, each time at a deeper, more penetrating level."  -Jerold W. Aps