Sunday, July 15, 2012

The strangest person in the world...

       “I used to think I was the strangest person in the world but then I thought there are so many people in the world, there must be someone just like me who feels bizarre and flawed in the same ways I do. I would imagine her, and imagine that she must be out there thinking of me too.
       Well, I hope that if you are out there and read this and know that, yes, it’s true I’m here, and I’m just as strange as you.” - Frida Kahlo
       Whew!  It’s not just me - Mexican painter Frida Kahlo thinks she is strange too!  Actually, Kahlo died a few years before I was born, so maybe I replaced her as the strangest person in the world.  But, I do appreciate her quote because it makes me feel less inclined that I’m alone as a misfit.  
       Apparently I’m not the only one who feels bizarre and flawed at times.  Even world class artists have times when they imagine they are the oddest of the odd.
       So maybe I’m in good company after all!  And, yes, that’s one of Frida Kahlo’s paintings (a double self portrait) called The 2 Fridas showing the important lady Frida and the second Frida holding a rag doll, representing her childish soul.