Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Fire That Burns Within Us....

At the end of his journey sailing under the flag of Spain, Christopher Columbus went to Barelona to give his official report to King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella on what he had found. His discoveries changed the course of history and changed the world. Below is a great quote Columbus shared with the Spanish monarchs:

"With a hand that could be felt, the Lord opened my mind to the fact that it would be possible to sail and he opened my will to desire to accomplish the project... this was the fire that burned within me... Who can doubt that this fire was not merely mine, but also of the Holy Spirit... urging me to press forward?"

I love this Christopher Columbus quote! First, his description of the Lord "opening his mind" to the possibilities and giving him the ambition (which Columbus calls a "will to desire to accomplish") practically gives me goosebumps! I concur with Columbus: who can doubt that the "fire that burned" wasn't merely his alone but the promptings of the Holy Ghost as well!

The quote also ends with Columbus pointing out that this fire urged him to press forward. Which reminds me of our church hymn, Press Forward Saints! The hymn has always been one of my favorites and now I'll also think of Christopher Columbus when I sing it!

"Press forward, Saints, with steadfast faith in Christ,
With hope's bright flame alight in heart and mind,
With love of God and love of all mankind.
Al-le-lu-ia! Al-le-lu-ia! Al-le-lu-ia!"
- 1st verse, Press Forward, Saints, text by Marvin K. Gardner (based on 2nd Nephi 31:20).