Saturday, November 13, 2010

Talent is Overrated!

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

I've spent most of my life thinking I had zero talent! In the most obvious forms I usually do fall short (sometimes a little, sometimes a lot). You won't find me singing in the choir or performing onstage! And I'm not a great athlete (but I do have decent endurance).

Most domestic pursuits are a stretch for me; I could sew you a costume but probably not anything you'd want to wear more than once!

So, my point is, that the skill sets that society validates are not really my forte, per se. But, I do have a few traits that are sort of like talents, if "talent" can be loosely defined as something we show a natural aptitude for.

Here are a few skills I'm not half bad at:
I Like People! I genuinely do like people and I genuinely like to see others succeed.

I Enjoy Service! I find service really satisfying. Sometimes I like volunteering more than I like getting paid for something. Getting paid takes some of the fun out of the work.

I Like Learning! I never tire of reading new books, philosophies, great thoughts, etc. Learning just for the sake of learning.

So, those examples just go to show you that having a singing voice like an angel isn't everything! No offense to those who do! I like to listen to you sing!