Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What is it worth to your family?

Elder Neil L. Andersen's wife, Kathy, spoke at the Saratoga Stake Conference and shared a story where I felt a parallel narrative from my own life.

When her children were young, Sister Andersen took the General Conference Ensign to make photocopies for each of her children so they could study the talks together as a family.

After making the copies the charge was $50. Sister Anderson felt sick to spend so much on such a small thing until she asked herself the question, "What is it worth to you to have the words of God's prophets for you and your family?"

My narrative is not quite as impressive but I did have a similar experience. Before our trip to Israel last Christmas, our tour guide, Garland Dennant, sent me 2 copies of the workbook he put together on the Holy Land.

After glancing at the workbook I felt really strongly that each family member should have their own personal copy to read, to take notes on, to save, etc. So, I proceeded to make 3 more copies and when the total was nearly $100 I had a similar reaction to Sister Anderson. I wondered if it had been silly to have 5 printed copies of Garland's Holy Land guidebook.

But, as I used my copy during the our trip to highlight and write notes, and, as I've used it since as a great reference and to remember places; I'm really grateful to have my own personal copy and can't really put a value on how much it is worth. While my kid's copies may not get heavily used now, I hope it's a workbook they'll return to over the years to remember the places they went where our Savior walked. And, how much is that worth? ...Obviously, priceless!