Friday, November 19, 2010

V is for vacuum...

"I like to vacuum every 6 months whether it needs it or not!" -this is a direct quote from Grammy (aka my Mom).

When I was growing up my Mom had a fancy Electrolux vacuum but it didn't get a lot of use. She was never overly concerned about the appearance of her home. House cleaning kind of got in the way of her volunteer work!

I admire her ability to not get bothered by a mess. Her priority in focusing on more important things is a great attribute. She served 4 terms on the Salt Lake City School Board (each term 4 years = 16 years). She was the School Board President for much of that stint.

Unfortunately for my children, Grammy's laissez faire attitude for housekeeping did not suit me nor rub off on me. My Dad's interest (okay obsession) with tidyness was the dominant gene in my cleanliness proclivities.

I like to vacuum often and I won't readily define "often" because my answer would leave some people (like my Mom) somewhat incredulous. Let's just say that I am more pleasant to be around once I've tidied up the home front (which does include a quick vacuum job).

I have a friend who always writes "Kathryn V. Knudsen" in addressing mail to me; which she claims the "V." is in honor of "vacuums" that I love so dearly!

So, between the 2 extremes: my mom who vacuums very 6 months (I sincerely hope she is kidding about this) and myself (embarrassingly pretty much daily), there is probably a happy medium. Yes, even vacuuming should probably be done in moderation (much to my chagrin!).