Saturday, November 27, 2010

I Must Remember....

I Must Remember by Shel Silverstein

I must remember. . .
Turkey on Thanksgiving,
Pudding on Christmas,
Eggs on Easter,
Chicken on Sunday,
Fish on Friday,
Leftovers, Monday.
But ah, me - I'm such a dunce.
I went and ate them all at once.

Since the cornucopia symbolizes food, harvest, and abundance, this picture denotes the food overload the Thanksgiving weekend brings. After a hearty feast I always remember the Shel Silverstein poem above.

It's hard to escape the food deluge that starts Thanksgiving day and carries on through Christmas. I simply need to focus more on the fruits and vegetables and less on the rolls, the stuffing, the gravy, and the pies.

I wish we could spread the Thanksgiving meal out to consume over the course of the week. I'd much rather graze in incremental stretches than sit down and gorge for one gluttonous meal. This year, however, I think I managed to do both! Inadvertently, of course!