Sunday, January 17, 2010

Happy New Year! Hip! Hip!

Be It Therefore Resolved...
First I had to come up with my resolutions. Then I had to decide whether to actually post them (where my lovely children can hold me accountable). Knowing I'm more likely to keep, honor, and stick to my 2010 goals if they're in print, I'm divulging them in blog form!

So, keep me honest, ...give me *$%*@ if I stray off course! (I know Andie will be happy to oblige!)

The goals form an acronym. Old people need little tricks to remember their goals! The word of the day (and every day) is:
PEST! Actually it's PESTsquared, as follows...

I decided on 8 things that I want to make sure I do (in some form or another) Every Day!

P - Prayer! & Promptings!
Prayer: specifically for me this is a Morning Prayer goal. Since night prayer is more instinctual, I want to make morning prayer a better habit!
Promptings: listening for the promptings of the spirit and then following those promptings!

E - Exercise! & Example!
Exercise: In 2010 I want to make sure that every day includes some form of physical activity. If I don't run then I need to workout at the gym or do bikram yoga, etc. The only exception is Sunday!
Example: Proactively consider what kind of an example I am setting in the choices I make in my life. Reminding myself that we are examples whether it is a "good" or a "bad" example.

S - Scriptures! & Service!
Scriptures: Every. Single. Day. No. Exceptions! I'm on a pretty good scripture reading schedule with teaching Seminary but it still doesn't hurt to make it official.
Service: This is to ensure that I've done some act of service before each day is over. Sometimes it might be as simple as sending out a card but it could be watching kids for friends, taking a meal, driving help, etc. etc.

T - Testimony! & Take Stock!
Testimony: Considering daily whether my actions and my choices have built my testimony up or weakened it.
Take Stock: Like reading scriptures, I'm doing okay with "taking stock" but this will officially make it part of my daily "to do's." For me "taking stock" is just my way of....Organizing! Mapping out! Prioritizing! Thinking things out! Evaluating! Etc.! Fortunately, I kind of like Taking Stock!

So that's the daily checklist! With my "PEST" acronym to help me remember! And my kids to bug/PESTer me!

I know the picture is a goofy look, but I actually like the photo because I'm happy! And accomplishing my goals is gonna keep me that way!

"No matter how carefully you plan your goals they will never be more than pipe dreams unless you pursue them with gusto." - W. Clement Stone