Monday, January 11, 2010

Never Suppress A Generous Thought! -Camilla Kimball

I LOVE the story Bonnie Parkin (former Relief Society General President) shared at a BYU Devotional years ago. President Kimball lived in the ward of Sister Parkin's daughter-in-law's mother (Susan).

One Sunday, Susan noticed noticed that President Kimball had a new suit. Susan's father had recently returned from a trip to New York and had brought her some exquisite silk fabric. Susan thought the fabric would make a handsome tie to go with President Kimball's new suit. So on Monday she made the tie. She wrapped it in tissue paper and walked up the block to President Kimball's home.

On her way to the front door, Susan suddenly stopped and thought, "Who am I to make a tie for the Prophet? He probably has plenty of them." Deciding she had made a mistake, Susan turned to leave.

Just then Sister Kimball opened the front door and said, "Oh, Susan!"

Stumbling all over herself, Susan said, "I saw President Kimball in his new suit on Sunday. Dad just brought me some silk from New York. . . and so I make him a tie."

Before Susan could continue, Sister Kimball stopped her, took hold of her shoulders, and said: "Susan, never suppress a generous thought."

This is such a great story! I've had times where I've felt prompted to do something and when I do, I sometimes get a little embarrassed too and wonder...what I was thinking?! Was I being presumptuous? How cool that Sister Kimball reminded Susan (and then Sister Parkin uses the example to remind us all) that generous thoughts should be acted upon! We aren't supposed to suppress them - they come for a reason!

Epictetus was a Greek philosopher who lectured men about leading lives of greater dignity and happiness during the Roman Empire. There is a quote attributed to Epictetus that is very similar to Sister Kimball's. Epictetus said: "Follow through on all your generous impulses. Do not question them, especially if a friend needs you. Don't sit around speculating about the possible inconvenience, problems or dangers."

Sage Advice from 2 Great Sources! "Never Suppress a Generous Thought And/Or a Generous Impulse!"