Thursday, February 18, 2010

Billy Joel! Elton John! Face to Face!

"I think music in itself is healing. It's an explosive expression of humanity. It's something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we're from, everyone loves music." -Billy Joel

The Elton John/Billy Joel Face to Face Concert was Tuesday night! It definitely trumped the notation for "Bookgroup" on my calendar!

I was pretty excited; humming and singing their greatest hits for days before the show! These guys are definitely two of my all time favorite musicians!

And their performance was pretty amazing for 2 old codgers! Billy Joel is 60 and Elton John is 62! Sir Elton was like the regal knight, a total class act and Joel was like the kid brother, bouncing around stage, making faces, he was quite a character!

The concert started with a duet of Elton John's "Your Song" (a personal favorite):
"And you can tell everybody this is your song
It may be quite simple but now that it's done
I hope you don't mind
I hope you don't mind that I put down in words
How wonderful life is while you're in the world."

Three and a half hours later they wrapped up the show with a a classic from each of their prolific repertoires: "Candle in the Wind" and "Piano Man." Incredible Concert!