Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Cutest Cupid!

Rose are Red, Violets are Blue.
Noah and I send Valentines Greetings to You!

I think Noah Touchet makes an adorable Cupid!

Even though some people complain that Valentine's Day is a Hallmark holiday imposing us to dutifully give out cards, chocolates and flowers, I happen to like all holidays. Any cause for celebration!

John Bryan told me that in Japan the Valentines tradition is for women to give chocolates to men. What's up with that?

Erich Fromm believed that "Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence."

I remember Valentines Day was pretty fun in elementary school. Decorating (or transforming) a cardboard box into a worthy receptacle for cards was homework no one complained about! Then, the mystery of what it meant if a boy signed the card with "Love" instead of "From." That could lead to all kinds of interpretation. Finally, the best cards came with candy! Ah, good memories!

When it comes to a holiday extolling the virtue of love, I have to include one of my favorite quotes from Ursula K. Le Guin: "Love doesn't just sit there, like a stone; it has to be made, like bread, remade all the time, made new." There is wisdom and truth in that thought!