Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Trash Talk!

The book I'm reading on the 2008 presidential campaign, Game Change, is illuminating on how many things were not what they seemed! The game face many presidential contenders and their wives put on for the public is quite astonishing!

One of these disturbing revelations is the foul mouth of Senator John McCain. Around his campaign staff he was constantly rattling off strings of expletives. Think the "f" word repeated over and over! Needless to say, I'll refrain (happily) from sharing the (numerous) quotes!

It isn't as if I hold McCain in great esteem (choosing Sarah Palin sort of made me question his sanity) but hearing his foul mouthed tirades just makes me lose respect for him.

Call me a prude but I have a very low tolerance for "trash talk." It seems like an uneducated, undisciplined form of communicating. There are so many words that elevate and edify and it's just a major disappointment to me when people choose offensive language to get their message across.

When Socrates was once introduced to a young man, he said: "Talk in order that I may see you." And I do believe that our speech does reveal us!

"Swearing is a vice that bespeaks a low standard of breeding. Blasphemous exclamations drive out all spirit of reverence." -President David O'McKay