Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"We Do Not Doubt Our Mothers Knew It." -Alma 56:48

This picture is titled "Our Mothers Knew It" by artist, Megan Rieker, from her "Women of Inspiration" series. (It's a lousy image download but should give you the general idea.)

Anyway, it's probably my favorite art from the 2,000 Stripling Warriors story in the Book of Mormon since the focus is less on the warrior theme and more focused on these young men learning in their youth (and by their mothers no less).

One mother is drawing the tree of life story. One mother is outfitting her son in the full armor of God.

The artist depicts women whose main goal is preparing their children to prosper and not go through "life's battles" in fear! As an imperfect mother I'm not sure I always do the best job at teaching my kids important truths. But I look to those mothers of the 2,000 Stripling Warriors with great admiration!

We are studying these last chapters in Alma this week in Seminary. As I teach youth, and more so, as a mother, I hope that I can always live in a way that my children, students or others might sense and not doubt that I know!

"Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them. And they rehearsed unto me the words of their mothers, saying: We do not doubt our mothers knew it." -Alma 56:47-48