Friday, February 26, 2010

My Cabin or Yours?




Affluence can definitely be both a blessing and a curse!

Our gals ski group feels so fortunate to be here enjoying Julie's cabin for the weekend. It's our European Chalet in Brighton, Utah! Seriously, it's called "Das Alpen Haus!" (see photos)

It occurs to me that growing up, the majority of my friends had cabins! Back then, Julie's cabin was outside Heber, Linda's in Park City, Kim and I had cabins in Brighton, etc. We had plenty of options! Those who didn't have cabins probably had boats (some had both). And none of us really thought of our families as wealthy. I'm embarrassed to admit that it hardly occurred to us that this wasn't "the norm!"

During summer months and on weekends during the school year we'd venture out to cabin overnights or on boating adventures to Lake Powell! We felt lucky and we were a pretty wholesome crowd; nice kids but definitely a little oblivious to how good we had it!

Now I realize that these blessings of abundance left us somewhat impervious to the stark reality that most families don't have cabins and/or boats! We just waltzed from cabin to waterski trip, completely ignorant of the fact that we had "luxuries" well beyond the majority of teenagers in the world!

"Things" (cabins, boats, etc.) don't make people happy and after primary needs are met research shows that greater affluence has never led to greater happiness. But, as an adult I do now realize that our more-than-comfortable-childhood was more unique than I knew. This awareness has given me more appreciation for our endless opportunities. In the innocence of youth I didn't understand our good fortune. At times our worries in life were as carefree as "Whose cabin should we go to this weekend?"