Saturday, August 7, 2010

Culinary School Graduates!

"Fervet olla, vivit amicitia!" -a Latin saying for...While the pot boils, friendship endures. Or, perhaps, if you can cook well, you will always have friends!

Andie and Paige have completed The Holly Holland Cooking School (and, almost with distinction)! Things went swimmingly until they dropped an entire pan of apple tart tartin on the last day of class! Oops! Other than that mishap the cooking classes were the highlight of the week!

While it sounds a little odd to hone cooking skills from a 15 year old teacher, it should be noted that Holly is not your average teenager. Holly attended a top notch culinary camp last summer, she loves to cook, and she is super organized! Every day was planned out in detail. If I'd have known how impressive Holly's cooking school would be I would have enrolled myself!

Holly can single handedly disprove the pithy "Never Trust a Skinny Chef" saying. She's a tiny little thing but every recipe the girls made was delicious! I know because they brought everything home to sample. My fridge has never been so full of home made treats!

It was from little chef Holly where I first heard the term "food baby." We were eating at Benihana's awhile back with the Hollands and had all stuffed a little more Japanese food than our stomachs could handle when Holly patted her tummy and announced that she had a "food baby." Indeed, we all had food babies!

And, now that my daughters have learned a few of Holly's cooking tricks we won't have to go to Benihana's to overindulge! Andie and Paige can make pizza dough, fresh bruschetta, pasta from scratch, meatballs, deviled eggs, key lime pie, and more! I could go into early retirement from kitchen duty! Except my smoothies; I've just developed a new model that rivals any Jamba Juice. The girls can cook and I'll juice!