Saturday, August 21, 2010

Paige's New Crib...

"There is an Indian proverb that says that everyone is a house with four rooms, a physical, a mental, an emotional, and a spiritual. Most of us tend to live in one room most of the time but unless we go into every room every day, even if only to keep it aired, we are not a complete person." -Rumer Godden

Today we're getting Paige all set up in a little house for her Senior year at BYU. Her Provo house has more than 4 rooms but I was thinking about this quote so I'm going to give a shout out to Paige because I admire her as someone with good discipline to balance the 4 rooms (physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual) mentioned in the house analogy.

Personally, I tend to get a little sidetracked. I'll get caught up in one tangent or another and let one area slip while another gets bolstered up. But I know it is wise to "give place" (see Alma 32:27) to all 4 areas! So, this is one of those times when the parent learns from the child.

When I observe Paige's day to day choices she's good about scheduling the important things then letting other things fit in as they will. Sometimes I let unimportant "stuff" stake it's claim over things that really matter.

So whether I live in Provo or Cali or Utopia, I think it behooves me to take stock and make sure I'm setting foot in all 4 rooms of my spiritual/physical/mental/emotional house! Every Day! So I can be a "complete person" ...like Paige!