Friday, August 27, 2010

HOT Fun in the Summertime!

"Heat, Ma'am! It was so dreadful here, that I found there was nothing left for it but to take off my flesh and sit in my bones." -Sydney Smith, Lady Holland's Memoir

Tuesday & Wednesday of this week were unbearably hot! Not the temperate NorCal weather we're usually spoiled with!

Fortunately Paige and I were in San Francisco on Tuesday so we didn't feel the brunt of that hot day. But we had to endure the Arizona-like temperatures on Wednesday. Fortuitously for Brent he was traveling midweek so he missed the heat wave entirely!

As the English poet, Samuel Taylor Coleridge would say: "Summer has set in with its usual severity." But Coleridge suffered from depression, maybe even bipolar, so I'm guessing the summer heat bothered him more than the average guy.

I felt lethargic until I realized it was the heat zapping the energy right out of me! Somehow just understanding the cause for being tired made me feel better. At least I wasn't coming down with chronic fatigue syndrome.

We've had a pretty mild summer overall so it wasn't too terrible to suffer through a few scorcher days in August. It's just the price you pay to live in the gorgeous Bay Area!

I'll hate to see summer wind down in a few weeks; summer is definitely my favorite season of the year!

"Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. -Russell Baker