Thursday, August 19, 2010

President Grammy! The Birthday Girl!



Birthday Greetings to Grammy!

Here are 2 photos of Grammy in Sun Valley two different summers. In one shot Grammy is surrounded by 4 of her granddaughters. In the older picture with her 3 oldest grandsons Grammy has cleverly hidden behind Webb. So this must be where I got the "camera shy" gene.

Grammy adores all of her grandkids! And, all the grandkids think Grammy is pretty adorable too.

By the time grandchildren emerged Grammy was no longer on the Salt Lake City School Board so her grandkids never knew her as the "elected official." The grandkids didn't get to see Grammy in action while serving 4 terms with many of those years as the President of the Salk Lake City School Board. 4 terms at 4 years each = 16 years!

Grammy spoke at my Highland High School Graduation and handed out diplomas. At the time I was horrified but I now realize that this was actually kind of cool. It probably sounds pretty lame on my part, not to be honored to receive my diploma from my Mom. Admittedly, I was a little immature during my high school years! Especially when it came to parental appreciation.

Looking back I'm impressed that my Mom was so passionate about education. She's always been a staunch advocate of raising the bar in our public schools. At the time I just thought her board meetings were a bunch of mumbo-jumbo and I wasn't very enthusiastic seeing lawn signs around town with my Mom's name in big red letters during elections!

So, there's a little bit of info you probably didn't know about Grammy (the birthday girl) with a little unflattering commentary on my lack of maturity!