Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Little Patients, Big Surgeries!

Once upon a time I didn't care much for hospitals but that was before I had been to the Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford (often just nicknamed Stanford Children's). It's such a great place I'm considering signing up to volunteer there!

One step into Stanford Children's Hospital can instantly change my perspective; whatever so-called worries or troubles I have immediately feel silly. The hospital is filled with families that have bona fide concerns; many parents whose children are struggling with life threatening conditions!

On Saturday Julie Holland and I dropped food off to Sondra Kingsbury who hasn't left the hospital since her daughter, Jolyn, endured a 10 hour brain surgery last Wednesday. Even by Saturday Jolyn was still quite sedated in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (the PICU or PicU) and still facing a long road of recovery ahead.

Jolyn was hardly recognizable with her hair shaved, her head swollen, and tubes, IV's, & wires everywhere connecting to bags and monitors. Due to Jolyn's seizures and a host of other issues, the surgeon removed a large portion of the left side of Jolyn's brain, which controls our right side, functioning wise. Occasionally Jolyn's left hand would reach out hoping to yank something/anything off her face but the nurse was right there attentively keeping it all in place. So far there hasn't been movement on Jolyn's right side and any sight of this will be a good sign.

During Jolyn's hospital stay, the Kingsbury's will pace and be patient, joining all the other families who find themselves at Stanford Children's with very sick children. Visiting the hospital is troubling yet very inspiring at the same time.

Children are incredibly resilient and you see the fighter instinct is alive and well at Stanford Children's Hospital. Over the years I've had occasion to visit a few other "little people" patients: Aiden Bryan, Nicholas Ryvla, and now, Jolyn Kingsbury.

Whenever I leave the hospital grounds I feel changed. A reality check for the day. I'm more sensitive to others around me; a new awareness of what some families are going through. I can't visit Stanford Children's Hospital and not feel deeply touched. Which makes me wonder if the hospital staff is affected every time they work. Could working at a hospital for children ever become just a job?

I guess that regardless of how the doctors and nurses feel (it's my job, or, it's my calling!), there are always plenty of families who are hoping that these mortal men and mortal women can work miracles! There is certainly a "ward family" who is praying for that for sweet little Jolyn Kingsbury!