Wednesday, August 25, 2010

It's Not Brain Surgery (or is it?)

If I want to say something isn't as difficult as you might think I'll retort "well, it isn't brain surgery!"

But for 10 year old Jolyn Kingsbury it actually was brain surgery! Just about 3 weeks ago, doctors at Stanford Children's Hospital removed a large portion of the left side of Jolyn's brain. I wrote about the amazing hospital facilities on 8/10/10.

Brian Kingsbury updated me with some pictures and they are so adorable I had to post them! I know the photo on the left was taken after I'd visited Jolyn because she was still intubated when I was at the hospital but the trach has been removed in this picture.

The picture on the right is so precious! Or, as Andie might say: "What a sweetie!"

Jolyn's Mom, Sondra Kingsbury, has not gone home since the surgery. She sleeps at the hospital every single night. She's only left Stanford one time when Jenae kept vigil at Jolyn's side and insisted that her Mom go out to dinner. It's pretty touching to see a mother's love in action! When I offered to spend the night anytime so Sondra could go home to get some sleep she was appreciative but clearly didn't intend to take me up on my proposal. However long Jolyn's recovery, I think her Mom will be right by her side!

Meanwhile, Brian and Jenae, Jolyn's Dad and Sister, have been taking care of things on the homefront. But yesterday, the Kingsbury family (without Jolyn and Sondra, of course) left for Utah to drop Jenae off for her freshman year at BYU.

Things will get a little more complicated without Jenae around the house. Jenae has been a 2nd Mom and total helper from day 1! Losing Jenae to the college clarion call will be a major transition for the Kingsbury crew!

Jolyn still has a long road ahead but Jolyn's a feisty one and that kind of attitude and spunk should help her make a successful comeback! In the meantime, keep her in your prayers!