Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Rapid Recovery! Full Service Nursing!

Paige has recovered from her wisdom teeth removal in record time! It's astounding actually! The very next day she went to a cooking class, Pinkberry, & Stanford Shopping Center! Of course Paige has never been too sick to shop! Plus, the Tooth Fairy loot is burning a hole in her pocket!

The rapid recovery is a bit of a chicken/egg conundrum. Is it due to the amazing nursing care, the skilled oral surgeon, or Paige's fortitude and high pain threshold? I could make a case for all 3 so it's probably a combination. But, in all humility (ha), I have been stellar in my nursing duties!

Paige has also been a real trooper and hasn't complained. Well, except on Monday, when she accused me of trying to starve her! I was just following instructions about only cool, clear liquids the first day; again, the top notch nursing care!

Paige hasn't used the pain medication. She's taking ibuprofen but the 20 Vicodin pills has been a wasted prescription. So, no worries about getting addicted to narcotic pain meds! Good job Paige!

Paige's chief complaint (whose remedy is simply time) is the swelling! And, you can't try to say things like "it doesn't look too bad" or "you hardly seem swollen on the right side." Apparently Paige feels comments like that insinuate that she usually/normally has gargantuan chipmunk cheeks! Paige discovered hooded sweatshirts can provide cover/disguise if shopping 24 hours after mouth surgery!

From gauze replacement, chicken broth, to ice & hot packs, I've been fully attentive! Which is highly unusual. I'm usually the no nonsense "you're fine, just tough it out" mentality! But, I can pull through with TLC if it's a short lived ailment (like wisdom teeth which heal fairly quickly). If it came to endurance nursing skills, that could be a challenge for me. I'm afraid I'm compassionate for short periods but hanging in there for the long haul could really test my patience. Needless to say, I couldn't be more delighted in Paige's speedy recovery! She's been a model patient (other than the false accusations, that is)!