Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Missionary Bound Birthday Boy....

Today is Cousin Alex's 19th birthday! He's a freshman cadet at the Air Force Academy and awaiting his mission call! The papers have all been submitted.

I love this picture of Alex in his kilt at his brother Andrew's wedding. I can't remember if that is Jack or Andrew Marriott that Alex is playing with but I can remember how Alex spent half the day keeping those 2 cute Marriott boys entertained.

Alex has always had such a great personality. Of course I've always attributed it to his birth order. He's a third child, I'm a third child. You can see where I'm trying to go with this.

Honestly though, I wish I was half as good natured as Alex. I'm afraid there is more to it than just being a third child (although Paige & Anita, two more 'third child' people, would likely support my theory). Alex has always had a happy disposition. I've loved his visits to California over the years because he is so easy to please. Lisa would always urge me not to go out of our way to do anything special. She'd assure me that Alex was content to do whatever we might be doing.

Sometimes you hear that drill from house guests but it isn't really so; they have expectations! But with Alex, he truly was delighted to do whatever we were doing. Alex is the epitome of low maintenance; he is always smiling and always appreciative.

So, it looks like sometimes we can even learn good things (by example) from teenagers (albeit this teen is now in his very last teenage year!) Birthday Greetings to Cadet Olsen! Wherever Alex is called to serve his mission, he'll be a awesome missionary!