Wednesday, March 23, 2011

You Can Never Have Too Many ...Bins!

When Paige arrived in London she expressed mild frustration over not having "bins" to store her belongings. That's an inherent hazard of semester abroad. But I'm glad she's become a lover of bins. Because I think bins are essential. A staple. Bins are to the home-at-large what sugar and flour are to the kitchen.

I've probably spent a small fortune on bins over the years and can't imagine life without them.

My first tip to "getting organized" is bins! Not that anyone asked. Still, there is no charge for this advice: Buy bins! Small bins, medium bins, large bins; you'll need every size! I usually keep a cupboard stocked with empty bins of assorted sizes.

Furthermore, all bins are not created equal! There are definitely good bins, substandard bins and everything in between. "I never met a bin I didn't like" would be a false statement! I am persnickety about the bins I choose.

So, I'm delighted that Paige was lamenting no bins at the BYU London Center. Maybe my sorting obsession has found another convert! Even better, could it be that some things we teach our kiddos do come home to roost? In a good way.

Finally, one of the best bins on the planet just happens to be....the Trash Bin! Whenever storage bins start to overflow, the trash bin is the perfect receptacle for eliminating surplus. In fact, the trash bin might be my favorite bin of all! Always toss liberally, ...just don't throw out your bins!