Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Be Careful What You Wish For...

In my 1st lesson in the Los Gatos Ward as a new Gospel Doctrine teacher I told the class that I’ve never taught Gospel Doctrine before. After I said it, I remembered later that I have taught Gospel Doctrine one other time...during my freshman year at BYU (which WAS 34 years ago so my memory lapse should be understandable).

But, that was a frightening church calling for me! The BYU ward was filled with freshman girls from my dorm (who weren’t that scary) to lots of return missionaries (who terrified me).

But, looking back, the experience was a good one (despite how nervous I got every single Sunday). I team taught with Kevin Pinegar, who happened to be one of those returned missionaries, and we became great friends.

So, I’m guardedly optimistic about teaching Gospel Doctrine, round 2. I’ve been pretty consistent with scripture study during my Seminary teaching years and it’s a good habit I was worried I might lose without a looming lesson ahead to prepare. Perhaps, my fears triggered this new calling which really will keep me consistent with staying on top of scripture study. So things do have a way of working out for the best.

The quote on charity is one I used in my lesson on 1st Corinthians on Sunday. It’s from an April 1992 General Conference talk by Marvin J. Ashton. I love the whole talk, which is titled: The Tongue Can Be a Sharp Sword.”