Thursday, September 22, 2011

First Day...

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.” -Henry Ford

Emily started preschool a week before I started my journey back to school (30 years post bachelor’s degree) and since Jennifer took a picture with signage, Paige insisted I get similar treatment.

Emily’s paper reads: "Emily. First day of Preschool, September 12, 2011." Paige was in a rush so mine didn’t record the date (September 20, 2011) but reads: "1st day of Grad School."

While Emily was adamant that her classmates should be “little kids” and the “same size” as Emily (see blog post from 8/10/11), my fear was exactly the opposite. I worried that everyone would be young and I’d be the oldest student in the program.

And, it turns out that I probably am the oldest. But the sky didn’t fall and the world didn’t end. So, I guess that sometimes even when the thing we fear the most becomes reality, life still goes on.

Yes, I feel a little ancient juxtaposed to the younger students. But nobody seemed to care that much. And, at least one of my professors looks older than me (whew!). So, after a few official days on campus, I think this back to school adventure is going to work, despite my fears. At the very least, I suppose I’m old enough to know that I don’t know everything! Which, after all, can be a pretty big thing (for those who don’t know this yet anyway!).

After Emily’s first day at preschool she was concerned that she didn’t learn anything new from her teachers and she didn’t get any homework. Again, this was not an issue for me. I’ve already learned a healthy respect for licensed therapists (there is a lot to learn) and I’ve already got loads of homework!

Emily and I do share a love for being in school, her first time ever and my first time in graduate school. Jennifer said that Emily wakes up and asks if it’s a school day (she goes M/W/F) and hopes the answer is yes! So, whether the kids are young or old, small or tall, we are both delighted to be in school!

“The more I live, the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I realize, the less I know.” -Michael Legrand