Friday, October 19, 2012

One Man's Junk...

"One man's junk is another man's treasure."  

       I don't know who said the quote above but I do know that it isn't always true.  Personally, my junk is pretty much junk!  I learned this over 20 years ago when we held our last garage sale before moving from La Jolla to Seattle.  
       We envisioned cashing in on used items, certainly enough to make it worth the hassle to stage the sale and price the items.  And, there was plenty of traffic but the customers offered me quarters for things priced $5 and dollars for furniture or big ticket items.  At the end of the day our financial haul was miniscule and even worse, we still had a load of "junk" to discard of.
       So that was our last (as in final never again) garage sale.  I won't set out former treasures where people can pile things together and offer me a buck for (what I consider) lovely things. 
       Well, because I've had zero garage sales since La Jolla, my house, has more clutter than I ever imagined.  When you can handily push things into cupboards you simply don't realize the scope of your accumulations.  
       This has been a little disconcerting because I don't think of myself as a pack rat but the contents of our home might signal I'm just in denial.  The "stuff" I'm uncovering is daunting.  So, garage sales might be bad but it appears that living in the same house for 17 years without a garage sale just might be worse!