Friday, December 10, 2010

Elizabeth Edwards, R.I.P.

"I always thought I was the kind of wife to whom a husband would be faithful." Elizabeth Edwards, from her book Resilience

That's probably one of the saddest quotes I know of!

When I first read Elizabeth Edward's book, Resilience, she was alive and fighting a courageous battle with cancer. But she passed away on Tuesday and some of the tough stuff this woman had to endure is haunting. I'm impressed by the grace with which she lived and died.

No one should have to bury their children - it goes against the natural order in the circle of life. And when 16 year old Wade Edwards was killed in a car crash, John and Elizabeth Edwards were devastated.

Wade's death was just one watershed event. The Edwards family came into the national spotlight in 2004 with the Kerry/Edwards Democratic ticket. Then when John Edwards sought the presidency in the 2008 election Elizabeth was campaigning at his side despite the fact that her breast cancer (first diagnosed in 2004) had returned.

When Elizabeth Edward's cancer came back there was criticism of the Edwards for John's decision to stay in the race. But Elizabeth was tenacious in her resolve for the campaign to continue. As two successful lawyers, the Edwards appeared to be a golden couple. Until John Edward's sordid affair became public.

Initially Elizabeth Edward's supported her husband but his indiscretion turned out to be a full blown betrayal of their marriage and not a one time event. In fact, John Edward's mistress was pregnant. The humiliation would be shattering for any wife but since the Edwards were in the spotlight, it was conspicuously public for Elizabeth.

Yet, as I reflect on everything I've read about Elizabeth Edwards I'm impressed by her honesty to face the infidelity and her cancer head on. She was willing to openly talk about both and I'm sure her candor will be helpful to others in similar situations. I admire her ability to discuss her private pain. Elizabeth Edwards strikes me as a very courageous classy woman!