Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Motherlode of Nutrients...

"I do not like broccoli. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm President of the United States and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli." -George W. Bush

Poor Broccoli! It gets such a bad rap. It didn't help matters when President Bush dissed the healthy vegetable shortly after he was elected and the media was filling us in on Bush's taste preferences.

I actually heard that Air Force One, the presidential aircraft, had a sign in the plane with broccoli and a slash across it that read "Broccoli Free Zone."

In a different twist on broccoli, during the 2008 presidential election when we were still getting used to the unique name of Barack Obama, Ashley Barth called the Democratic candidate 'Broccoli' Obama. How's that for a Vegie Tales: Broccoli Obama elected President!

There was a great line in a Glee episode this season when Sue Sylvester, holding a broccoli stalk, asks one of the students obsessed with Tator Tots if they know what she is holding. The student's reply: "I don't know. Is it some sort of toilet brush?"

I'm not sure why I'm writing about broccoli. Maybe because I read an interesting statistic that 90% of the fresh broccoli sold in the United States is grown in the Salinas Valley. So, I suppose I just want to spotlight our local homegrown-in-Cali vegetable! And, for my own taste palate, broccoli sure beats califlower!