Friday, December 3, 2010

Spelling Wanna...Bee!

"You can't help respecting anybody who can spell TUESDAY, even if he doesn't spell it right; but spelling isn't everything. There are days when spelling Tuesday simply doesn't count." -Winnie the Pooh

I rue the fact that my elementary school did not hold a Spelling Bee! I think I may have missed my opportunity to be a "Champion" at something simply because Rosslyn Heights Elementary didn't validate spelling prowess!

Spelling came easily for me as a youngster. If I had seen a word before, I could usually spell it. I could hardly conceive of "studying" spelling words; one gander at the list and I was good to go. Bring on the spelling tests, I aced them every time!

Of course, this natural ability only went so far. 5th grade maybe? I eventually hit a stage where words with illogical or difficult spellings tripped me up. But until then I thought I was pretty hot stuff when it came to spelling! Although without an official spelling bee I never got to flaunt my skills. Which is probably why I'm pathetic enough to brag about it in my blog! You probably didn't know being an avid speller was such a claim to fame!