Friday, December 31, 2010

A Series of Unfortunate Events...

"Each little clam here, Know how to jam here, Under the sea.
Each little slug here, Cuttin' a rug here, Under the sea.
Each little snail here, Know how to wail here.
That's why it's hotter, Under the water,
Ya we in da luck here, Down in the muck here, Under the sea!"
-sung by Sebastian in The Little Mermaid.

Well, today is New Year's Eve and I'm pretty sure our party style will be a little more subdued than most tourists.

I've never been much for raucous celebrations and after our adventures yesterday I'm just glad we're all alive and kicking to see 2011 roll in!

Actually that's a little dramatic, but we did happen to have some run-ins with our "under the sea" creatures yesterday. After a gorgeous morning hike around Peter Island we settled in to spend the afternoon on Dead Man's Bay. Yes, that's an ironic name for the location of our little incidents.

First, we rented a small Hobie and Brent and Webb tested their sailing skills. Then, while Paige had a sailing lesson, Andie and I were relaxing with the Peter Island Resort crowd. When Brent rented a stand up paddle board, Paige, Webb and I went kayaking. But, while Webb was snorkeling near a big reef I had a harebrained idea that we could relax our arms if we got closer to the rocks to rest a bit.

Unfortunately, my rowing prowess is more about canoeing in lakes and it didn't take long in the rough waters for Paige and I to bash up onto a rocky reef and sport some bloody leg scratches. Then, for my 2nd bad decision I tried not to lose our kayak but in the attempt I ended up with sea urchin stings all over my hands and feet! Although I did save the kayak (fwiw!).

Meanwhile, Andie summoned Brent to our folly and his rescue efforts to swim toward us was thwarted by a jelly fish sting to his arm. Ouch! As Andie described it; it was just plain one series of unfortunate events!

Luckily, Brent's sting wasn't severe enough to cause any paralysis! Phew! Although he had a miserable night trying to get any sleep. And I learned that one way to alleviate my pain is to pee on the sea urchin stings although I didn't feel that desperate. But our skipper Terry had to extricate about 7 sea urchin spines from my hands and feet. What a guy!

Happily, Webb saw lots of cool things snorkeling by the reef so the rough waters didn't spoil everything. And we're all on the mend and no worse for the wear. But, I do think the Disney Little Mermaid movie needs a disclaimer: these "Under the Sea" creatures are not are as friendly as they are portrayed! Who knew there were such dangers lurking down under!