Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Empty Nest

"When mothers talk about the depression of the empty nest, they're not mourning the passing of all those wet towels on the floor, or the music that numbs your teeth, or even the bottle of capless shampoo dribbling down the shower drain. They're upset because they've gone from supervisor of a child's life to a spectator. It's like being the vice president of the United States." -Erma Bombeck

Wow, it really happened! That "empty nest" stage I've heard so much about has arrived for us. We're a little behind our peers in the fine art of empty nesting so I'll need tips from friends with expertise and experience.

So far, I'm not crazy about having an empty nest. Even late in coming, it's not all it's cracked up to be. Yes, it's a perk to clean up a room and magically it actually stays clean. But the trade off might not be worth the pleasure of basking in the pristine room. After all, who wants to live in a big house that's empty?

Brent always told me I'd miss the messes. Smugly I thought, nah, I'll miss the kids but not the mess. I kind of, sort of, miss it all (to which Brent will happily say "I told you so"). A grass is greener paradox. When you have little rascals underfoot it feels like you'll never have a moment of peace. Then, when the solitude comes, you miss the chaos. Such is life.

We dodged the empty nest for a few extra years with Andie's return. But Andie's taking up residence in Palo Alto in a tiny house a block from Stanford. Sounds fun to me! It's a big transition. Andie will gain a new appreciation for the sweet deal she had with the parentals now that she gets to pay rent, utilities and share household duties.

If Webb reads this, he'll definitely tell me to get a dog but I think I'll let Webb be the family dog owner for now. Ernie and Bodie are welcome and encouraged to visit anytime but I've witnessed firsthand the commitment those cute pups bring on.

Fortunately this empty nester has plenty to do between now and Christmas, no time to cry the blues until after the new year. And by then I might have come up with a radical new plan. Stay tuned!