Monday, December 6, 2010

Trail Running...

"I was passing trees like they were standing still." -unknown runner

A Trail Run is an entirely different animal than a Road Race. Pacific Coast Trail Runs (PCTR) sponsors back country long distances runs all over the Bay Area with the slogan: "Trail Runs: Serious Fun."

On Saturday some of our running crew participated in the Woodside Trail Run, a few (Andie, Maria, Brent) running the 17K and the rest (Becca, Tia, Mallory, Jeremy, K2) the 10K. The Woodside Run, in Huddart State Park, makes St. Joseph's seem like a piece of cake. Huddart Park is filled with steep canyons and the run is mostly uphill on back country trails with very little flat terrain. Daunting but beautiful!

Running through the gorgeous redwoods was a little frustrating since I had to spend so much time looking down at my feet. I'm enough of a klutz that I risk tripping and falling if I lose concentration. While it's impossible to run the narrow, rocky, winding trails without focusing on the path, I still kept gazing in awe at the scenic course. All my gazing probably didn't help my course time. Oh, well!

The trail run draws a different crowd than a road race. There are still plenty of fast runners but racers seem as enamored by the natural beauty as they are by the run. It's a crowd of people you can't help but feel drawn to. Spectacular surroundings and likeable people makes a nice combination for a running event.

Most of us ran Woodside more like a practice than a race so I don't have many impressive stats to divulge. Except Andie. Andie was our star runner of the day finishing 3rd woman overall in the 17K!

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." -Shakespeare, Julius Caesar