Thursday, December 16, 2010

Putting People on Pedestals. . .

"There are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human." -Elizabeth Edwards

Elizabeth Edwards wrote the quote above on Facebook the day before she died. No, we aren't Facebook friends but I read about it in the New York Times.

And, yes, I am aware that I blogged about Elizabeth Edwards already (last week following her death).

But, I've been thinking about Edwards and her legacy. Most of us will remember her fondly and with great admiration. But some were critical of her choices along the way.

Generally speaking, we (as a society) can make it very difficult for people of notoriety. We put them on pedestals and then vilify them when they don't live up to the standards we place upon them. I claim imperfection of myself but expect others to be infallible. It's impossible not to be let down when we put unrealistic expectations upon others.

As I've read the tributes to Elizabeth Edwards over the past week it's given me insight into her as a 3 dimensional woman. She was controlling at times, demanding, and maybe overly protective of her family but she was a good woman (not a saint) but good nonetheless!

"I laughed that I never was and don't want to be St. Elizabeth. But I cried that I don't want to be seen - and maybe here I should admit, remembered - as the worst of the portraits of me." -Elizabeth Edwards