Sunday, October 30, 2011

Facing Fears...

“You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face.

You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do." -Eleanor Roosevelt

Eleanor Roosevelt is one of my favorite first ladies! She was always a champion of facing our fears. Personally I’m much better at this in theory than practice.

The Gospel Doctrine lesson I’m teaching today has a scripture from 2nd Timothy 1:7 that says: “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”

We might not get to all the lesson material in class but I like this concept that striving to live with the spirit is the best antidote to fear. I guess I should practice it more and preach it less!