Sunday, October 9, 2011

Far be it that I should repine...

It is what it is. If you think about it, that’s a pretty good line. I can think of lots of life experiences where giving utterance to those 5 simple words could really help my acceptance of things.

Typically I want to change things that aren’t to my liking, but there are a lot of things I don’t have the power to change or fix or solve. Ultimately, when I get dealt a bum card, I might just have to suck it up!

The poet, Anne Bradstreet, lost a huge collection of books when her home burned down. Her loss inspired a poem, simply titled: "Upon the Burning of Our House July 10th, 1666." Instead of choosing grief or anger because of her tragedy, Bradstreet chooses instead to look toward God.

"And when I could no longer look,
I blest His grace that gave and took,
That laid my goods now in the dust.
Yea, so it was, and so 'twas just.
It was his own; it was not mine.
Far be it that I should repine.” -Anne Bradstreet