Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Worship for the Soul....

"The story is told of a South American tribe that went on a long march, day after day, when all of a sudden they would stop walking, sit down to rest for a while, and then make camp for a couple of days before going any farther. They explained that they needed the time to rest so that their souls could catch up with them.”

The Sabbath is our version of stopping to let our souls catch up with us. Over the years I’ve come to rely on Sundays and I’ve found that the change of pace is good for me in lots of ways.

I missed church on 10/16 (due to the marathon) but made it to church on 10/23. I briefly considered staying home since I’m battling a whopper of a cold and the incessant coughing and laryngitis make it not-so-fun to be in public.

Even today, the cold hasn’t completely run it’s course but I’m glad I didn’t let it keep me home from church on Sunday. Gospel Doctrine was great (and I can say that in all humility because I wasn’t the teacher) and so was Relief Society. And, best of all, for Sacrament Meeting it was the annual Primary Program! My favorite meeting of the year!

Besides, I had a greater appreciation for the block of meetings since I’d missed out on a church experience the week before. There was a classy nonmember lady from Los Gatos who was visiting (mostly out of curiosity) and I sat with her during Sunday School and Relief Society. During the lessons, our class discussions were interesting and respectful and it seemed like our visitor felt a good spirit. I know it made me feel proud to be a member. And grateful too!