Monday, October 17, 2011

The Running Matriach...

“And the trouble is, if you don’t risk anything, you risk even more.” -Erica Jong

It’s a little risky to attempt to run with this young fit crowd. Obviously I can’t keep up with them. But what if I hadn’t tried? I’d have missed out meeting a darling bunch of cute runners, who are kind enough to let me tag-along!

The Nike Marathon yesterday was a challenge but also a blast. It’s not an easy course but the SF scenic route is spectacular. The “A Team” had seventeen runners in our group this year (not everyone was around when we took this group shot) which might be our biggest team ever (although we definitely missed Andie, Anita, and Amy Touchet this year).

It’s a bummer that the Nike race is on a Sunday and it’s a raucous event for the Sabbath, but there is a part of the marathon that is kind of spiritual for me. Sometimes I feel quite emotional along the course. There are inspiring people and touching signs and I feel a lot of inner emotion well up at random times along the way. In fact, maybe if I didn’t get so emotional I could run faster. There’s a thought!

Anyway, I think most of the “A Team” had races that they were happy with. Especially Paige, who might have finished in the top 25 (we’re still awaiting the official results). And I was happy that I ran the whole way and never walked (albeit slowly). I’m also happy to call these girls my friends. Their friendship is a blessing in my life!

“The Perfect Run: The wind at your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends at your side.” -Aaron Douglas Trimble