Wednesday, June 17, 2009

" All-Day Suckers!" Where It All Began!

Or.....How I Came To Love Poetry!

My Mom was the classic school-teacher-turned-mother with her five children becoming her new pupils of sorts. Our classroom (playroom) honestly had these antique school desks and we would play "SCHOOL" for hours on end. Obviously the activity lost a little luster once we were actually enrolled in real school. As a middle child I got to be the "student" for Lisa and Marianne and then later on the "teacher" for Rod and Jenny!

But among my Mom's many teacher supplies were all sorts of quick and easy to learn poems. So the first poem I ever memorized was only a dozen words. But it's a great poem, nonetheless! Lots of the poems I learned as a kid I can still recite today! But it definitely takes me longer to learn new ones!

All-Day Sucker (author unknown)

Somebody was Mistaken,
Somebody was Wrong,
Nobody's All-Day Sucker,
Lasts That Long!