Sunday, June 21, 2009

In Honor of Dads!

Today's post might be a little long but the best tribute I could find for Father's Day happened to be a talk in my files that Webb gave in Sacrament meeting (probably one of his first as a youth speaker). See below:
"Hi, I'm Webb Knudsen. I am a member of the Deacon's quorum and I have been asked to speak today. In Proverbs Chapter 10, verse 1 it says: "A wise son maketh a glad father." So, today, in honor of Father's Day I'll say a few of the things that a father is to me.
First, the "F" in father stands for Friend! My Dad is my very best friend. I feel really lucky to have a Dad who likes to spend time with me. My Dad always tells me that I am his best friend and that makes me feel really good.
The "A" is father could stand for Always & Advice! It seems like our fathers are always there for us but they also seem to have some advice for us. Here are a few bit of advice I often hear: "Just do your best." "If everyone jumped off a cliff, would you?" "A job worth doing is worth doing well." And, of course, the lines: "Go ask your Mom" and "Because I said so."
The "T" in father could stand for Trust. There is a story of a blind by sitting on the lap of his father in a crowded compartment in a train. A friend seated nearby said to the father, "Let me give you a rest," and he reached over and took the little boy on his lap. A few moments later the father said to his son, "Do you know who is holding you?" "No," the little boy replied, "but you do." This little boy had a perfect trust in his father. From the time we are little we always trust our fathers to take good care of us.
The "H" is father could be for Helpful. My Dad can be a big help. When we lived in Seattle, Andie and I had a paper route and my Dad would wake us up at 6 in the morning on the weekends and help us deliver the papers. My Dad also helps me with homework, biking, running, and other stuff. I try to help my Dad by working in the yard and around our house.
The "E" in father could stand for Example. Fathers definitely set an example for their children. A man named James Baldwin once said: "Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them. Our prophet said that the objective of every Father is to emulate the example of our Father in Heaven.
The "R" in father could stand for Responsibility. I know my Dad has to work really hard to provide for our family. Being a Dad seems like a big responsibility. One father said: "I once had 8 theories on raising kids. Now I have 8 kids and no theories."
I think that our Fathers deserve lots of appreciation today and always! I am grateful for the many fatherly examples I have from my Dad, my grandfathers, and many in this ward in Scouting and Young Mens and in our Bishopric. I'd like to wish all these good Dads a Happy Fathers Day."