Sunday, June 14, 2009

Hope is the Thing with Feathers!


Emily Dickinson is definitely one of my favorite poets and "Hope" is one of my favorite poems! Today we had great meetings at church and one of the things I've been pondering this afternoon is the "hope" we can always have through the blessing of the Atonement. Liz Walton spoke about the enabling power of the Atonement and shared a touching story about coming to terms with Clint's leukemia and their mission to Portugal (how could she leave Kelly during this?). I was really touched in Relief Society as well with Sue Lucas sharing her lesson on the beautiful gospel plan of "redeeming the dead." What a great service we can provide for others who did not have the same opportunities in life. I leave church every week feeling more inspired and more "hopeful" about so many things! I'll print the full poem below:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune--without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.