Saturday, September 18, 2010

Appearance versus Reality...

For the record, and for the most part, I disagree with the quote at left! While it is important to be your very best self I think our culture puts way too much emphasis on appearance and what is considered attractive.

I think societies that spend all their energy focused on the outer package and too little on what's inside end up with people who are very superficial. I suppose I could interpret the slogan differently; "desirable" meant in purely a wholesome sense perhaps. But it's tit for tat, and I could get into semantics but I simply prefer authenticity to people who brand, market & package themselves by focusing exclusively on appearance.

There is another saying: "I've never seen a smiling face that isn't beautiful!" Now, there is a quote that I like! How about looking desirable because you have a countenance that radiates?

Or, think about the insight behind the following quote: "That which is striking and beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful." -Ninon de L'Enclos

And, finally, an old classic, a saying that Andie and I have come to call the "Kathy Pulley Quote," mostly since it's one of Kathy's favorites: "You'll Worry Less About What People Think About You When You Realize How Seldom They Do." -David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest