Thursday, September 30, 2010

Got Mud?

I guess a regular 10K isn't enough of an adventure for Paige. It seems a 10K Mud Run was the challenge she was seeking!

Paige was on a co-ed team of 10 (see teammates in lower photo) who each had to run an entire 10K while navigating through obstacles, detours, and mazes totally surrounded in mud!

Apparently Paige had a great race and loved the course, mud and all! Her picture reminded me of a poem by Tom Mulhern called "The Infrequent Bathing Trilogy."

I. Things Could Have Been Worse (And Were)

Back in the day, when I was a lad
We used to bathe once a week
Which improved upon the youth of my Dad
When he claims they bathed in the creek.

II. Limited Advantage

The best thing about bathing just once a week
Is that you rarely had to wash and hang clothes
The bad part is that when you started to reek
You needed the clothespins for your nose.

III. And The Last Shall Be . . . Still Dirty

I know we were frugal and yes, times were tough
But one thing I found hard to bear
As if bathing once a week wasn't bad enough
The same water we all had to share.