Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Hands Free and Still Distracted!

Yes, the state of California allows drivers to talk on their cell phones as long as the device is hands free (bluetooth or headphones).

But, as a terrible multi-tasker, I still question the safety of letting us carry on distracting conversations while behind the wheel. It turns out that I am a potential hazard even behind the wheel of a shopping cart.

Last week I took a call from Paige while shopping at Costco (hands free). I was perusing an endcap display with cool power juicers. So, I chatted with Paige, looked at the appliance, and soon, decided to move along.

When I reached the next aisle I finished our call and stopped to drop Ziploc bags into my cart. Sudden confusion...another customer was annoyed with me and claimed I had her shopping cart. What? ...But then I glanced down at the cart I was pushing and found it filled with wine, cheese, and products I did not recognize.

Apparently while focused on my phone call, I wandered away from the juicer display taking another woman's shopping cart with me! I was embarrassed and profusely apologetic. The woman softened but still got the heck away from me as fast as she could!

If I can wheel away someone else's cart filled with alcohol at Costco and carry on with my shopping simply because I'm distracted by a phone call, well, it is a little scary to think what I could do behind the wheel of a car!

I've also noticed that if I'm talking on my cell when I arrive at Costco I can leave the warehouse and have no idea where I've parked the Volvo! Costco and phone calls are simply not a good mix for me! Which begs the question: Are phone calls and driving a dangerous combo too?