Thursday, September 9, 2010

In A Word...

Webb is quite the wordsmith! So, it was no surprise to receive an email from Webb about an annual list the New York Times publishes of the 50 most frequently looked up words from their articles.

Besides sending the link, Webb took the Top 50 List one step further. Webb stated: "In the spirit of continuing my education post-college, I decided to put together a document of all the words with their pronunciations and definitions.....it's always good to learn some new words!"

As a like-minded lover of words, I immediately printed Webb's document and I've finally mastered my new vocabulary list. I'm feeling quite educated!

There were a few easy words that I already know and use like "apostate," "overhaul," and "ubiquitous." Then, there were words that I don't personally use much but I do know their meanings like "egregious," "feckless," and "apoplectic." Although I've really should overhaul my speech and toss out more big words now and then!

One word, "renminbi," I had recently learned from an money article in the Wall Street Journal. Renminbi is the currency in China.

Another word, "baldenfreude," is a twist or close cousin to the lovely term "schadenfreude." Baldenfreude is satisfaction at someone else's baldness!

The word "antediluvian" refers to the period before the flood in Genesis so it means old fashioned, out of date, or primitive.

I hope Webb will continue to enrich my vocabulary by forwarding more New York Times lists, etc. My AP English teacher, Dr. Scanlan, would be so proud that we're looking up words just for fun!

For my self imposed homework, here is a sentence using 6 of the 50 words from Webb's list (fwiw): "While it may be putative, it would be an egregious error to refer to your mother as antediluvian; an incendiary remark like this could cause your obdurate mother to become apoplectic."