Monday, September 6, 2010

The glory of friendship...

"We are going to be the best of friends," said Gilbert jubilantly.
"We were born to be good friends, Anne." -Anne of Green Gables

Yesterday (September 5th) was my dear friend, Linda Dunn's birthday. I'm so fortunate to have a friend like Linda in my life; everyone should have a friend like Linda!

Linda (back row, brown turtleneck) is behind me and to the left in this photo of high school girlfriends reuniting in 2009; the year we'd all be turning 50. I adore the whole crew; we'd like to think we are 51 going on 25!

Linda and I met in 7th grade. It's remarkable to look back and see the influence she's had on my life. Linda loved (craved actually) adventure! In junior high we'd ride our bikes to go rope swinging at Rotary Glen near Hogle Zoo and it felt just dangerous enough to think we were pretty cool!

Before we could drive we still felt pretty independent because we'd take the bus (no parental supervision required) to downtown Salt Lake for shopping and movies. We'd hike, we'd bike, we'd swim and somehow our escapades often became a little edgy (meaning we'd get lost or find harmless trouble to get into).

I felt like I'd found a soul mate in Linda. I'd join her family on trips to Lake Powell and Flaming Gorge and she'd come with me to our ranch near Jackson Hole. I never tired of being with Linda. I just remember feeling very lucky!

Forty years later I still feel lucky! However, it was likely more than just "luck" involved; some very good fortune for me and our own dogged determination to "stay in touch." We've stayed close and now even my kids have been blessed by knowing Linda and her darling family. During all our years of adventures and happy times, I'm proud that through all the memories we were "good girls."

It seems like a little thing but I'm really glad that we knew how to have a ton of fun but maintain high standards. It makes me realize how much a good friend will influence us to be our best selves (even for 40 plus years)!

"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when you discover that someone else believes in you and is willing to trust you with a friendship." -Ralph Waldo Emerson