Thursday, September 16, 2010

Compartmentalization...

"Danger lurks when we divide ourselves with expressions such as "my private life," "my professional life," or even "my best behavior." Living life in separate compartments can lead to internal conflict and exhausting tension...Inner peace comes only as we maintain the integrity of truth in all aspects of our lives. When we covenant to follow the Lord and obey his commandments, we accept his standards in every thought, action, and deed." -Russell M. Nelson, Ensign, November 2000

Elder Nelson's quote puts to words how I often feel when a politician is unfaithful to his wife but still expects his constituency to trust him. If people are dishonest in one aspect of their life I tend to think their character is compromised generally.

People who don't live their lives in separate compartments lead lives of greater integrity. I'm a big fan of the virtue of integrity! To me, it's all encompassing; more than simple honesty. Integrity implies a consistency of character.

I know that I totally fall short of the mark but consciously striving to live with integrity almost guarantees that I'm going to come closer than if integrity is a principle I don't give much thought to. Just a thought.